mardi 26 avril 2011

New guest - Gerry Tosh - Highland Park



If you come and read La Cave de Cobalt on a regular basis, you probably know Highland Park appears in my favourite single malts top list. Visiting Highland Park's web site, I virtualy met Gerry Tosh who presents like no one all the very interesting videos from the distillery. Today, he answers my questions, and that's an honour.


Gerry, how and when did you become "Head of Brand Education" and Whisky Ambassador for Highland Park ? What does your job consist in ?
I started working for Highland Park as Global Brand Ambassador in 2002 and then moved up to Head of Education when we started to employ local ambassadors in the various markets around the world. Basically I ensure all the ambassadors who are responsible for Highland Park brand education know what they are talking about and are saying the same things as every other ambassador in the world. I also get involved in the deciding which whiskies we use for the special editions and  then all the marketing surrounding each product.

You have been named "Scotch Whisky Ambassador of the year 2010". How do you feel about that ?
One of the best moments of my career : to be voted by your peers to win any award is humbling.

You travel a lot. Recently you've been to United States, Russia and South Africa before that. Would you say whisky is seen differently either you're from a country (or a continent) or another ? In what way ?
Yes whisky is viewed/consumed differently in most countries. For me it all comes down to climate, if you're in Scotland you're told not to add water and drink at room temperature but room temperature in Scotland and South Africa are very different things, so you have to modify your habits depending on the climate.

Highland Park's web site is full of short and longer in depth videos about how your whiskies are made. How important, do you think, comprehending the way you work and create your whiskies is for consumers ?
For me this is very important especially for Highland Park. We have changed very little since 1798 when we started and talk about craftsmanship and traditional methods of making whisky, but yet so do all other distilleries who have thrown away all the old ways of doing things and these videos highlight for me the substantial differences in our whisky from the rest.

From these videos I learned a lot about making and tasting whisky. An other thing I learned is that you don't have to be serious while talking and tasting whisky because whisky is fun and convivial/friendly. Also, I guess the tasting videos are meant to make people want to try the drams and I think you did a very good job. So, would you trade this part of your job with me for a day ?
NO ! It's my job until I die and even then you'll have pry it from my cold dead hands... ;o)

More seriously, what would you answer if I told you that I see you as some kind of a combination of a journalist and a teacher who brings the whisky knowledge to the people who want to learn more about their favourite beverage ?
I would take it as a massive compliment. I love my job and hope that comes through when I talk about whisky and I especially enjoy the reaction on people's faces when I explain in simple terms how we do it. Whisky is really simple and our industry has spent most of its life making it hard to understand or just advertising the brands without educating the consumers. I'm a firm believer if you know more about something, you enjoy it more.

Highland Park was recently named "Best spirit in the world" for the second time. In your point of view, what does make Highland Park whisky so special ?
It all comes down to the team at Highland Park who just make great whisky everyday and the adherence to the traditions of whisky making. Basically we don't cut corners in making our whisky, I'd guess we are the most expensive whisky to make because of that, this means you get more bang for your buck and it's the reason we believe we get fantastic awards for all our whiskies.

Do you think the location of a distillery influences the way the whisky will taste ? If so, how does Orkney define the character of Highland Park's spirits ?
Orkney plays a big part in our flavour. It effects the maturation rate and angel share due to the very consistent climate. The climate kills all the trees so our peat has no wood in it (which is completely unique in the world of whisky), our floor malting and water are open to the salt laden winds of Orkney, our peating levels change depending on wind speed and direction... I could go on but basically yes it plays a big part.

You are responsible for the Ambassador Casks series. Can you tell us about the story of this opportunity you had : to choose a casks and turn it into a special bottling at cask strength ?
Each one was different and picked for different reason. For example the first one was a sweet cracker that had this warm toffee glow of an aftertaste which I am still to ever taste again. It is arguably the best of the lot for me, apart from maybe number 5 which was a fantastic whisky however I picked it as it was from 1974 the year of my birth... Just don't tell the guys at the distillery that.

With the 50 year old, you released a rare and exceptional whisky (either from the bottle design and the spirit in that bottle). Do you think there is more "hidden treasures" in your warehouses ? Do you plan to release any new exceptional whisky soon ?
We have no older whisky than 1960 at our distillery but you never know these can be found sometimes and it was the case with the current 50 year old actually, we found that. We have some plans for new whiskies coming one I'm very excited about is a new collectable after the Earl Magnus series is finished... but I'll tell you about that later.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire